Keauhou Veterinary Hospital is an certified facility for the State of Hawaii. We are able to offer our clients and those moving to the island the ability have there pets released to them directly after meeting all of the states requirements to land at Kona International Airport in Kailua-Kona Hawaii.
Please be aware that there are restrictions for certain carriers. We no longer do inspections for any of the Delta Airlines flights. If you are traveling on American Airlines, they only transport Service Animals into Kona and these pets must fly in cabin. We also no longer do inspections for the Alaska Airlines flight with evening arrival from Seattle.
The direct release program is designed to allow pets to do the quarantine period at home. After your pets receive all of the required vaccines to come to Hawaii the most important being Rabies, as Hawaii is a Rabies free state, they have their blood drawn by your veterinarian it is sent in to Kansas State University where they will run a specialized test to measure the titers for Rabies in your pets blood. KSU will then send the results to the State of Hawaii and the 120 day process begins.
All inspections Monday – Friday 7:30am- 5pm are charged at our regular rate. All inspections outside of normal business hours and on weekends are considered after-hours and will be charged at a higher rate. There is an additional pet discount for animals arriving together on the same flight. This fee is separate from the fees charged by AQS.
The following information below is directly from the State of Hawaii’s website.
E-MAIL US: RABIESFREE@HAWAII.GOV
Hawaii Rabies Quarantine Information Brochure
Checklist For 5-Day-Or-Less Program
Checklist Only For Resident Dogs And Cats Located in Hawaii that are Departing and Returning to Hawaii under the 5-Day-Or-Less Program
Re-Entry Fee Requirements: For pets re-entering Hawaii after completing a Hawai`i rabies quarantine program, Requirements when a reduced “Re-entry” fee for Direct Airport Release or 5-Day Or-Less quarantine applies.
Animal Quarantine Station phone: (808) 483-7151
(Due to the large volume of calls and the time zone difference, the best way to contact the Animal Quarantine Station is via the e-mail address above.)
The law requires dogs and cats that do not meet all of the specific 5-Day-Or-Less program requirements to be quarantined for up to 120 days upon arrival in Hawaii. Please read thoroughly the following documents containing details on the rabies quarantine programs for importing dogs and cats.
INFORMATION AND FAQS
- Hawaii Rabies Quarantine Information Brochure [aqsbrochure.pdf, Rev. 10/09] – This brochure contains important information about pre-arrival requirements, quarantine station location and contacts, procedures, policies, rules, operations and fees.
- Frequently Asked Questions [Rev. 08/10]
- Frequently Asked Questions for 5-Day-or-Less Quarantine Program [Rev. 10/09]
- Map to Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility (Honolulu International Airport)
- Direct Airport Release Security Advisory
- Dog and Cat Import Form [AQS-278.pdf, Rev. 11/11]- One completed form per pet is required to be submitted along with all pre-arrival documents (Two Rabies Vaccination Certificates, Health Certificate, Pre-payments) NO LESS THAN 10 DAYS BEFORE PET ARRIVES IN HAWAII TO QUALIFY FOR 5-DAY-OR-LESS or AIRPORT RELEASE. If the health certificate cannot be sent 10 days before arriving with the rest of the documents, the original must be given to the inspector upon arrival in Hawaii.
- List of Approved Veterinary Hospitals [AQS-20.pdf updated 12/12]
- Breed Code Listing and Color Code Listing [AQS-66.pdf]
- Intermediate Handlers [Rev. 4/12] List of registered private individuals or organizations that may be contracted with for fee as intermediate handlers to assist in the interstate and inter-island shipping of pets.
- Summary For Veterinarians [AQS-39.pdf, Rev. 11/09] Summary for veterinarians of health certification, microchip, rabies vaccination intervals, OIE-FAVN test and waiting periods requirements of the 5-Day-Or-Less program.
- Direct Release on Neighbor Islands: Pets may now qualify for direct release at Kona Airport (Big Island), Kahului Airport (Maui) and Lihue Airport (Kauai).
- Inspection Request Form
Oie-Favn Test Results
Pets owners do not need to present a hardcopy of test results to the Rabies Quarantine Branch, as KSU and DOD will send results directly if “Hawaii” is listed as the destination on the lab submission form. Owners can obtain pre-arrival OIE- FAVN test results from the veterinarian that submitted the sample or on the Hawai`i Department of Agriculture website (see below). Please do not call laboratories directly for test results!
For those qualifying for the direct release or 5-day-or-less you may check online for your pre-test results and when the 120-day waiting period:
To check your pet’s OIE-FAVN tests results, click HERE
About 45 days prior to your pets entry date given to you by the state, you will want to start thinking about flight arrangements. You can contact us at this time and give us all of your flight information and pet information. We will begin the process for you to get your permit for direct release, here in Kona. * Remember this means they can not land anywhere else in Hawaii prior to touching down in Kona*
We do need 30 days to process you permit so make sure to plan ahead.
Remember we are here to help if you have questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to call 808-322-2988.